L1 will not be listed here as a purchase option because in our opinon and in all honesty, when this level of commitment is being considered for a DAC, L2 really should be the minimum one should be looking at. If budget allows, going to L3 is all the more recommended. Purely from the perspective of performance and value, L3 presents one the ulitmate flagship in R2R DACs that can easily scale with the equipment used, easily future-proofing the digital side of the audio chain. And with the additional upgraded components used in L3 listed below, QA will put up both hands and say again it should really be a worthy consideration.
We use and mention L3 in most instances, but do take note L3 is no different from the KTE version, which is more popularly being conversed in the Americas due to Kitsune HiFi being the distributor in America. The sets coming from China origin are more commonly being referred as L3 so we follow that as our stocks came directly from there. L3 units have the Kitsune fox head logo too. We will use L3 and KTE interchangeably.
- All Level 1 options
- HoloAudio Caps
- Upgraded Fuse
- Remote Control
- DC power cable
- 100VA DUAL O-type(not Toroid) FLATWIRE (NOT roundwire) 6N Copper custom hand made audio transformers. (All models)
- All copper wire is replaced with 1.5mm pure occ silver wire. Only L3
- Hand Selected Dac modules to have best measurements compared to averages. Higher dynamic range. Only L3 model.
- CNC Black/Copper shield DAC Module Covers on each module with laser etched KTE logos. Only L3 model.
- Replaced IEC inlet connectors with pure silver/rhodium plated faston connectors at the IEC inlet Only L3 model.
- Fuse is upgraded with world class Red Nano fuse with gold/silver and graphene and quartz filtering materials. Only L3 Model
- Standard Vishay caps are replaced/upgraded with Special made Holo capacitors******unique ONLY to MAY L3 (we have done extensive testing and these prove to provide intoxicating voicing and are beyond subtle improvements over L1/L2)
- Custom made HoloAudio 1000V 1uF caps (replaces standard mundorf evo silver/gold caps)
- Enhanced USB module with Titanis 2.0 circuit
- Pure copper Kitsune fox emblem on top panel + remote control
The May DAC (all three models) will also support DSD1024 native and PCM 1.536MHz output! The May DAC has the new and exclusive USB Enhanced module (L2 and KTE ONLY) which has our FPGA with the new Titanis 2.0 and custom firmware to improve USB Eye Pattern and reduce latency to near zero as well as reduce jitter to very very low levels. The USB module has completely new code written to optimize performance and reduce latency significantly. Low-frequency performance (-40db) is also improved. The “enhanced” USB xmos module is twice as powerful/capable as the one that is used in the Spring 2.
New improved power supply circuit with high-performance multi-stage regulation circuit using Rubycon ZLH caps, Panasonic FC, Vishay Caps or L2/L3 models with our exclusive HoloAudio Branded Caps (KTE model unique custom proprietary caps to replace Vishay caps)
We are no longer using common LVDS chipset and are now using a custom 4way circuit that isolates each line which further improves sound quality. such as the MCLK is isolated from data line and this improves jitter spec. Also there are TWO I2S ports in the May dac. Each one can be individually configured pin outs to support all I²S products on the market.
What are the May’s sound characteristics?
One of the strong points of the spring is the spatial sounds stage presentation. It’s very wide and precise. It never sounds congested like many DACs. The high end is very detailed and never harsh sounding. It has the R2R goodness that many have come to know and love. R2R has almost a cult-like following and this DAC will surely become a sought after DAC. Everything comes effortlessly for this DAC. Bass is layered and textured, full and present without ever masking over the sweet mid-tones that are produced. One special thing about the May is its amazing voltage regulation circuitry that better than 0.2uV output noise! This along with the FLATWIRO-core transformer helps regulate the purest power which translates to audio clarity and accurate reproduction. It must be heard to appreciate and come to love its sound.
Read more technical info on the May L3/KTE here.
Dimensions per chassis (2 total): 430 mm (W) * 300 mm (L) * 55 mm (H) additional 12 mm for machined feet (for each part, two of these chassis stacked on each other)
Weight: 18.0 kg Approximately for both Chassis or about 39.68Lbs
Power Consumption: 60W
Click here for English Manual
Click here for Chinese Manual
HoloAudio Drivers – Win10 – v5.30.0 2021-12-08 (driver for both Gen2.0 and Gen2.1 USB)
HoloAudio Drivers – Win7/8/8.1/10 – v.5.20
There are no reviews yet.